I try to keep things even among the kids. So after I made Isaac his green sweater, I bought some more yarn and decided to make the same sweater for Dell. I was only going to change the front panel, but then I got a bit carried away.
The pattern is a top down raglan, so I started with the neck collar. I didn't like how the first sweater had a K1P1 rib, so I switched that out for a K2P2 rib and twisted my stitches so that the rib would look neater. Now it pulls together much nicer and sits right up against her neck.
The next bit to knit is the chest, arms, and back. I've been wanting to play with more textures, so I just started scrolling through stitch libraries until I found on that would work well with my increases. This honeycomb pattern is worked over four stitches, so I was able to just add half and full honeycombs when I had enough new stitches on the sides.
Then I put the arm stitches on to waste yarn and had to decide how much of the honeycomb I wanted. I thought of just continuing the pattern to the hem, and finishing it like a regular sweater, but I got a lot of votes for a sweater dress from friends. So I continued the pattern to just above the waist and then increased every few stitches so that it would flair out a bit. I have no clue how many I eventually added, but it was enough.
Then I realized that I only had one ball of yarn to finish the sleeves (still on the waste yarn) and the bottom of the dress. I'd already cleaned out the store and had to buy a different dye lot, so I didn't want to have to go back and add a third dye lot to the pile. The solution was short sleeves! Which is perfect since the weather turned warm, and long sleeves would have been too hot to wear in the spring.
In the end, I love how it turned out. It's so different from the first sweater, but I love that I'm getting comfortable enough with my knitting to start doing crazy things like this.
Linking up with Kids Clothes Week!