Here's an old finish for Finish It Up Friday. I'd finished this quilt a while ago, but didn't want to over share it in case the new owners decided to check my blog. You never know, and never want to ruin a surprise. Anyway, I downloaded the pictures to the computer and completely forgot about them until a few days ago when I decided to tidy up my folders. Yay!
This was a kind of joint collaboration between my mother and I, one of my cousins got married recently and she decided that a quilt would be the perfect present. Luckily, I was already thinking about a quilt, so she helped me with some of the supplies and then let me have free rein.
I went with Denyse Schmidt's Chicopee line because it just works together, but seems to have a little of all the colors. I wasn't sure what my cousin would like, so I wanted to give them all of them, in a way that wouldn't blow their eyes out. And Chicopee does this really weird thing where it's loud and subtle, masculine and feminine, large prints and small prints, retro and modern. I don't know how it's possible, probably magic.
I modified a pattern for neutral pluses on print backgounds, though for the life of me I can't remember which pattern I used. And I'm really glad that I gave all those prints some room to breath. Bonus, it gave me a lot of negative space to quilt!
I used Aurifil Spring Green and a discontinued Isacord in teal. I would quilt a little in one color, then switch when I got bored. The effect is subtle on the Essex Yarn Dyed Black linen, kind of like green and teal shadows. (I really wish I'd gotten better pictures, but it was a rainy week, and my only chance for photos was a half hour window at the reception when it wasn't pouring, on the soaking wet ground.)
I rotated between a handful of quilting patterns in the pluses, all in, more or less, coordinating thread. This star pattern ended up being one of my favorites, that will get put into the usual rotation. It's super fun, and doesn't have to be exact to look nice.
Linking up with
for Finish It Up Friday!