In the fall, the Seacoast Modern Quilt Guild is putting on an exhibit on modern quilting at the Gathering Quilt Show in Manchester, so we decided to have a little challenge to get everyone in the spirit. Everyone picked out a traditional block and our assignment was to modernize it using only solids.
Once the pack arrived, I started sketching out ideas, but in the middle of one doodle, I'd have another idea. Before I knew it, I had several pages of colorful doodles, and couldn't decide which one to go with. So I pulled the very first idea I had, made a tiny drunkard's template, and made a couple test blocks (remember this tiny mini?). But I realized that I really didn't love making those tiny curves, and couldn't stand making more. So I picked a different sketch!
So I went with the one idea I had that didn't involve sewing all those curves! I pieced a bunch of the solids together, on point, and trimmed it to size. Then I made a mile of bias tape to do the curves, and realized that it was not going to be a very smooth curve. Then I found this post by Dorie about her Bias Tape Applique Challenge quilt. She talks about using bias bars to get really skinny strips to sew down. I loved the idea, so I just used the technique without buying the bars.
As soon as the top was done, I knew I wanted to graffiti quilt it, and that I would need monofilament to make it work with all those colors. I absolutely hated working with the stuff (it took ten tries to wind a bobbin, the tension was weird, and where there was buildup, it gets a bit shiny) but it worked out in the end.
I named it Rainbow DNA because it was super late the night (actually morning) it was due when I finished, but I needed a title for the label, and I couldn't stop thinking that all the straight lines between the curves looked like a flattened strand of DNA. Yeah, I'm weird.