These are seriously easy blocks to make. I started with six inch blocks, sliced randomly across at any angle, then added a strip of fabric from my scrap bins. I always love a project that gives me a chance to use up some scraps. And I was able to make some almost fussy cut, like these animals from one of the Cotton and Steel lines.
After the first handful of blocks, I settled on a light gray background, which was not an easy choice since I don't have a huge pile of light gray fabrics in my stash. Actually, the prints I used here are pretty much it, but there was enough variation to keep the scrappy vibe.
After a few more blocks, the rainbow started to become the obvious arrangement. I seriously can't help but arrange things in rainbow order.
My original plan was to cut the squares back into 6 inch squares to make everything fit together nicely, but I once I had the rows laid out, I liked how they were staggered. It was kind of magic how most of the rows were already pretty close to the same length. So I sewed them into vertical strips then lined the pink row up as I sewed them all together. I only had to add fabric to one strip, and then trim off the excess in a few other rows.
When it came to quilting, I had a plan about doing a lot of vertical and horizontal lines, then adding some hand stitching in a rainbow of perle cottons. That was the plan right up to the point that I loaded it onto my long arm and was about to go. There was just something about those horizontal rows of quilting space that I just couldn't resist. So I went for it.
For a quilt that started on a whim, it turned out really great. It's a little smaller than most of my quilts, but it's just big enough to lie under on the couch as long as you're alone or with a cat. And it'll be getting a hanging sleeve for now and heading to my guild's show at the Quilters Gathering in November.