Friday Finish: Rainbow Dash Quilt

This is one of those crazy ideas that wormed its way into my head after scrolling through Instagram and wouldn't be quiet until it was finished.  The original idea was from @_glass_half_full, but I first saw Kitty Wilkin's first few blocks, and had to make my own.

These are seriously easy blocks to make.  I started with six inch blocks, sliced randomly across at any angle, then added a strip of fabric from my scrap bins.  I always love a project that gives me a chance to use up some scraps.  And I was able to make some almost fussy cut, like these animals from one of the Cotton and Steel lines.  

After the first handful of blocks, I settled on a light gray background, which was not an easy choice since I don't have a huge pile of light gray fabrics in my stash.  Actually, the prints I used here are pretty much it, but there was enough variation to keep the scrappy vibe.

After a few more blocks, the rainbow started to become the obvious arrangement.  I seriously can't help but arrange things in rainbow order. 

My original plan was to cut the squares back into 6 inch squares to make everything fit together nicely, but I once I had the rows laid out, I liked how they were staggered.  It was kind of magic how most of the rows were already pretty close to the same length.  So I sewed them into vertical strips then lined the pink row up as I sewed them all together.  I only had to add fabric to one strip, and then trim off the excess in a few other rows.  

When it came to quilting, I had a plan about doing a lot of vertical and horizontal lines, then adding some hand stitching in a rainbow of perle cottons.  That was the plan right up to the point that I loaded it onto my long arm and was about to go.  There was just something about those horizontal rows of quilting space that I just couldn't resist.  So I went for it.

For a quilt that started on a whim, it turned out really great.  It's a little smaller than most of my quilts, but it's just big enough to lie under on the couch as long as you're alone or with a cat.  And it'll be getting a hanging sleeve for now and heading to my guild's show at the Quilters Gathering in November. 

Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish it up Friday.  And crossing this one off my list for Q3 of Adrienne's 2015 Finish-Along.

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

Friday Finish: Rainbow DNA Mini

In the fall, the Seacoast Modern Quilt Guild is putting on an exhibit on modern quilting at the Gathering Quilt Show in Manchester, so we decided to have a little challenge to get everyone in the spirit.  Everyone picked out a traditional block and our assignment was to modernize it using only solids.  

I pulled the Snake in the Hollow block, which is really just a Drunkard's Path block with eyes in the corners.  I didn't know what I was going to do with it, but I knew I wanted a bunch of colors to play with, so I ordered a charm pack of Denyse Schmidt's Modern Solids.  

Once the pack arrived, I started sketching out ideas, but in the middle of one doodle, I'd have another idea.  Before I knew it, I had several pages of colorful doodles, and couldn't decide which one to go with.  So I pulled the very first idea I had, made a tiny drunkard's template, and made a couple test blocks (remember this tiny mini?).  But I realized that I really didn't love making those tiny curves, and couldn't stand making more.  So I picked a different sketch!

So I went with the one idea I had that didn't involve sewing all those curves!  I pieced a bunch of the solids together, on point, and trimmed it to size.  Then I made a mile of bias tape to do the curves, and realized that it was not going to be a very smooth curve.  Then I found this post by Dorie about her Bias Tape Applique Challenge quilt.  She talks about using bias bars to get really skinny strips to sew down.  I loved the idea, so I just used the technique without buying the bars.

As soon as the top was done, I knew I wanted to graffiti quilt it, and that I would need monofilament to make it work with all those colors.  I absolutely hated working with the stuff (it took ten tries to wind a bobbin, the tension was weird, and where there was buildup, it gets a bit shiny) but it worked out in the end.  

I named it Rainbow DNA because it was super late the night (actually morning) it was due when I finished, but I needed a title for the label, and I couldn't stop thinking that all the straight lines between the curves looked like a flattened strand of DNA.  Yeah, I'm weird.

Linking up with Amanda Jean for Finish It Up Friday!  And this is one that I can cross of my 2015 Finish-Along list!

And one more link!  Finished just in time to be entered into the Applique Category of the 2015 Blogger's Quilt Festival!  Be sure to go and check out all of this year's great entries!

AmysCreativeSide.com